The Consulate General of Jamaica, New York is pleased to announce Mayor Eric Adams as the Guest Speaker for the Official Jamaica 60 Diamond Jubilee Gala, scheduled for Saturday August 20th at the Marriott Marquis, New York Hotel, Times Square. The celebratory event is being hosted in partnership with Jamaica’s Promise.
Mayor Eric Adams will deliver the keynote address for the event themed “Re-igniting a nation for Greatness”. This is the theme of Jamaica 60 celebrations at home and around the world. He will address the room, which will include Jamaica’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Senator the Honorable Kamina Johnson Smith, members of the diplomatic and consular corps, well-wishers and honorees.
As part of this year’s celebration, six individuals are being recognized for their contributions in their fields of endeavors and contribution to the development of Jamaica. The six honorees are:
- Monty Alexander, Grammy nominated jazz pianist.
- Basil Anderson, Chairman of the Governance & Nominating Committee and is a member of the Executive, Audit and Compensation & Human Resources Committees of the Board of Directors Moody’s.
- Jeffrey Flaks, President & Chief Executive Officer Hartford HealthCare.
- Sandra Lindsay, Critical-care Nurse and Director of Patient Care Services in Critical Care at Northwell Health’s Long Island Jewish Medical Center in Queens, New York.
- Mark Newman, President and CEO Chemours
- Maurice Wright, Chief Medical Officer of Harlem Hospital and Senior Associate Dean of Columbia University for academic affiliation.
This Gala like previous staging’s, will provide an avenue for persons to contribute to charitable causes in Jamaica and for the first time here in New York City. These causes will cover the following areas:
- Health – We seeking to purchase Six (6) Dialysis Machines which cost $40,000 each.
- Education – We are seeking to provide six (6) scholarships for students from across the three counties to attend tertiary institutions in Jamaica. The scholarships will be for the full 3- or 4-year program).
- Community Development – Support to the Rose Town Foundation as a violence interrupter. The Community center provides training and other interventions for youth in the community who would otherwise possibly be disengaged in the violence prone community.
- Community Development – We will partner with the MHHC Foundation to provide healthcare interventions to the residents of the Bronx community in which the Morris Heights Health Center currently is located. This is aimed at reducing the high incidences of NCDs which affect many members of our community.
As persons look forward to the Gala, which, in addition to the charitable objectives, will provide an opportunity for dressing up in their tuxedos and gowns and to party and have a good time. Entertainment will form a key part of the event with Leroy Sibbles, Derrick Barnett and the Statement Band with music by Road International. Other performers are being confirmed for the event. Among the guests attending is Actor Nick Creegan from the television series Law and Order.
Patrons are encouraged to get their tickets now at the website www.Jamaica60.org or call 888-817-9050 Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.
It is the community’s Gala.
About Jamaica’s Promise
Jamaica’s Promise Foundation is a voluntary non-profit 501(c)3 organization, providing the resources and support needed by local organizations to improve the education and training of young people from disadvantaged circumstances and communities.